Shanghai Meals Part 1
Just finished making a draft booklet for an upcoming friend's wedding. Phew, sorta turned out like how I wanted it but I think I need some feedback to tweak things a little.
Anyway, I've never posted about my trip to Shanghai in winter 2009 so here it is--let me introduce to you some Shanghai Food!
By Shanghai food, I don't mean it in terms of Shanghainese traditional food but more like food I had in Shanghai, the various restaurants and cuisine found in random corners of the streets.
Since it wasn't my first visit to Shanghai, I didn't eat any Xiao Long Bao, but tried some Hong Kong and Szechuan cuisine, along with some roadside snacks.
First up, Cha's Restaurant for some Hong Kong food.

Cha's Restaurant in Chinese is called Cha Chan Ting, or in Cantonese Cha Chan Teng. Cha Chan Teng is what a typical restaurant Hong Kong is called and it's their play on words since the word "查" used here is different from the original "茶" which means tea.
Most patrons to this restaurant were Hong Kongers because you could hear Cantonese everywhere. The wait staff are also familiar with Cantonese and Chinese, so you can place your order in either languages.
Because you're getting Hong Kong food in Shanghai, the prices for the dishes can be quite expensive. But since Daddy was paying, he went ahead and ordered 4 dishes for us. The portion is quite small but it was really good.

Tofu with Chicken Pieces (鸡粒豆腐)

Brinjal and Minced Meat Stirfry (鱼香茄子)

Braised Beef (红烧牛肉)

Soy Chicken (玫瑰鸡 if I remember correctly)
Of course the names of the dishes in English are just my literal description for them since they mean different things in Chinese. It's typical for the Chinese to give their dishes fancy names when it only might mean boiled vegetables or something.
Next up, my favourite street snack (that closed down, according to my mom who went to Shanghai recently) :'(

Huang Zhong Huang Da Bing is actually a pancake with minced meat mixed with spice in the centre, then filled with sesame seeds all over and then rolled out flat and fried.

It was the best snack I've ever had in Shanghai that only cost me RMB3, which would equal to RM1.50. A hot pancake on a cold winter's day... sigh T^T Why did it have to close down?!
Well according to Daddy, they opened up a couple of years ago and took off really quickly, opening up stores all over. A lot of people queued up just to buy it, but then as fast as it took off, the hype died down and their business most probably dropped a lot, which I suppose led to them closing down. And it was a short walk from my dad's apartment too!
Huang Zhong Huang Da Bing, you will be missed!
That's all for part 1, part 2 is some Szechuan food and another street snack!
Anyway, I've never posted about my trip to Shanghai in winter 2009 so here it is--let me introduce to you some Shanghai Food!
By Shanghai food, I don't mean it in terms of Shanghainese traditional food but more like food I had in Shanghai, the various restaurants and cuisine found in random corners of the streets.
Since it wasn't my first visit to Shanghai, I didn't eat any Xiao Long Bao, but tried some Hong Kong and Szechuan cuisine, along with some roadside snacks.
First up, Cha's Restaurant for some Hong Kong food.

Cha's Restaurant in Chinese is called Cha Chan Ting, or in Cantonese Cha Chan Teng. Cha Chan Teng is what a typical restaurant Hong Kong is called and it's their play on words since the word "查" used here is different from the original "茶" which means tea.
Most patrons to this restaurant were Hong Kongers because you could hear Cantonese everywhere. The wait staff are also familiar with Cantonese and Chinese, so you can place your order in either languages.
Because you're getting Hong Kong food in Shanghai, the prices for the dishes can be quite expensive. But since Daddy was paying, he went ahead and ordered 4 dishes for us. The portion is quite small but it was really good.

Tofu with Chicken Pieces (鸡粒豆腐)

Brinjal and Minced Meat Stirfry (鱼香茄子)

Braised Beef (红烧牛肉)

Soy Chicken (玫瑰鸡 if I remember correctly)
Of course the names of the dishes in English are just my literal description for them since they mean different things in Chinese. It's typical for the Chinese to give their dishes fancy names when it only might mean boiled vegetables or something.
Next up, my favourite street snack (that closed down, according to my mom who went to Shanghai recently) :'(

Huang Zhong Huang Da Bing is actually a pancake with minced meat mixed with spice in the centre, then filled with sesame seeds all over and then rolled out flat and fried.

It was the best snack I've ever had in Shanghai that only cost me RMB3, which would equal to RM1.50. A hot pancake on a cold winter's day... sigh T^T Why did it have to close down?!
Well according to Daddy, they opened up a couple of years ago and took off really quickly, opening up stores all over. A lot of people queued up just to buy it, but then as fast as it took off, the hype died down and their business most probably dropped a lot, which I suppose led to them closing down. And it was a short walk from my dad's apartment too!
Huang Zhong Huang Da Bing, you will be missed!
That's all for part 1, part 2 is some Szechuan food and another street snack!

Comments