Customs Attack
I don't personally have any opinions about our local customs officers but this incident just made me realize what these people are.
While most organizations ask for donations accordingly and you have to right to either give or not give; our very own ex-customs officers decided that it wasn't an option.
Barging in to the office and demanding to see our boss saying that they are from the Royal Customs, then inviting themselves in and going on to ask what the names of our boss is, was exactly what they did. Now, for first-timers this would seem a little suspicious since you said you're from the Royal Customs and you DEMAND to see the boss yet you don't even know our boss' name. For me, it was the third time they're here and the moment he asked for my boss' name, I thought "BUSTED!"
So then he handed me a laminated identification proof that he's from the Customs and told me to get my boss. I reluctantly went and pondered over whether I should knock on the door and stop a recording session just so this man who doesn't even know my boss' name can ask him for a kind "DONATION". Well maybe it would be more accurate to say it's not even a donation but more of an ad space they'd sell you for the money you give to them on their yearly bulletin.
In marketing you pay for ad spaces according to where the reach of your target audience takes you, and here we are being sold ad spaces on a bulletin maybe only ex-customs read--so not the right target market if our company wanted to place an ad.
What made me frown upon them was this:
Man was finally ready to leave because boss gave him the green light on getting money. And he didn't forget to remind me what my boss said about agreeing to write a cheque for them so he said that he would call me next Monday.
Firstly, he demanded to see my boss although I had explained that I couldn't disturb him. If they were here to ask for money, he should've taken his leave and said he would come back again but he demanded as if it was his authority to break up a recording/meeting to see my boss.
Secondly, before I called my boss, I read the back of his ID which said that the ID-holder is given authority to collect donations and/or ask for money for ad placements. So technically he was lying about being a Customs Officer because he was only given authority to get money for the EX-CUSTOMS OFFICER ASSOCIATION. Notice the word EX?
Thirdly, why speak to me as if in an ordering tone but change to a friendly tone when meeting my boss. Am I of any lower class or was it just because I had nothing to give to you?
The better part of the story comes next.
So the man leaves and I am left with the letter of them writing up about what the money is used for and what good it does to give them the money. I see a telephone number to their Association's office and decide to call to clarify if we have to give.
DAMN BEST RIGHT? LIKE DRAMA ONLY!
Seriously I was speechless and could only laugh at her bad acting. People amaze me sometimes, they do.
While most organizations ask for donations accordingly and you have to right to either give or not give; our very own ex-customs officers decided that it wasn't an option.
Barging in to the office and demanding to see our boss saying that they are from the Royal Customs, then inviting themselves in and going on to ask what the names of our boss is, was exactly what they did. Now, for first-timers this would seem a little suspicious since you said you're from the Royal Customs and you DEMAND to see the boss yet you don't even know our boss' name. For me, it was the third time they're here and the moment he asked for my boss' name, I thought "BUSTED!"
So then he handed me a laminated identification proof that he's from the Customs and told me to get my boss. I reluctantly went and pondered over whether I should knock on the door and stop a recording session just so this man who doesn't even know my boss' name can ask him for a kind "DONATION". Well maybe it would be more accurate to say it's not even a donation but more of an ad space they'd sell you for the money you give to them on their yearly bulletin.
In marketing you pay for ad spaces according to where the reach of your target audience takes you, and here we are being sold ad spaces on a bulletin maybe only ex-customs read--so not the right target market if our company wanted to place an ad.
What made me frown upon them was this:
Man: I'm here to see your boss, I'm from the Royal Customs and I got a letter for him.
Me: Okay, please take a seat and I'll let my boss know.
Man: What is your boss' name?
Me: *suspicious* Mac Portabello
Man: Mack? Englishman?
Me: Yes
Man: Mack Portabello, Mack. How to spell?
Me: M.A.C. Mac.
Man: Mac. Okay, can I call him Mr Mac?
Me: Yes.
Man: *Hands me laminated ID* Tell your boss I'm here to see him.
*Went to door and decided not to disturb the recording session and walks back to man who has already gotten up from his seat to stare at whether I was going to inform my boss or not*
Me: My boss is actually busy right now with a recording and a recording is like he's in a meeting I can't disturb him.
Man: So?! I want to see your boss also cannot? You go and inform him that I'm here now.
Me: *sighs and knocks to inform boss*
*Boss gets up and goes out to settle and get man to leave*
Boss: Hi.
Man: *in friendly tone* Hi Mr Mac!
*Man goes on to explain about the reason for him being here but Boss tells him that he's busy he knows cause they wrote a cheque for the association the last time and he can't talk right now, not even tomorrow but only next week*
Man: Okay, okay. No problem, sorry to disturb you.
*I roll my eyes at how nicely the Man is talking to my Boss*
Man was finally ready to leave because boss gave him the green light on getting money. And he didn't forget to remind me what my boss said about agreeing to write a cheque for them so he said that he would call me next Monday.
Firstly, he demanded to see my boss although I had explained that I couldn't disturb him. If they were here to ask for money, he should've taken his leave and said he would come back again but he demanded as if it was his authority to break up a recording/meeting to see my boss.
Secondly, before I called my boss, I read the back of his ID which said that the ID-holder is given authority to collect donations and/or ask for money for ad placements. So technically he was lying about being a Customs Officer because he was only given authority to get money for the EX-CUSTOMS OFFICER ASSOCIATION. Notice the word EX?
Thirdly, why speak to me as if in an ordering tone but change to a friendly tone when meeting my boss. Am I of any lower class or was it just because I had nothing to give to you?
The better part of the story comes next.
So the man leaves and I am left with the letter of them writing up about what the money is used for and what good it does to give them the money. I see a telephone number to their Association's office and decide to call to clarify if we have to give.
Me: Hi, I'm calling about your Rayuan Jualan Iklan (Ad Sales Enquiry?)
Lady: Yes.
Me: Is it compulsory for us to pay?
Lady: Yes.
Me: Kita mesti bayar ke? Untuk Rayuan Jualan Iklan? (Do we have to pay? For the Ad Sales)
Lady: Terpulanglah (It's up to you)
Me: Okay, tapi kalau Boss tak nak bayar tapi officer masih datang macam mana? (Okay, but if my Boss doesn't want to pay but the officer keeps coming then what should I do?)
Lady: You office mana? (Which office is yours?)
Me: Er...
Lady: Hello?! Hello! Helllllllllllooooooooooooo?! *Hangs up*
DAMN BEST RIGHT? LIKE DRAMA ONLY!
Seriously I was speechless and could only laugh at her bad acting. People amaze me sometimes, they do.

Comments