Baked Goods Part II

It took me long enough, but here's part II of my baked goods, where I attempted baking a Japanese strawberry shortcake.

I used the chiffon cake recipe found HERE. But I halved the recipe cause my cake tin was really small. The cake is really nice and moist, like the cheap paper chiffon cakes I used to eat as a kid :)

My first cake failed cause I opened the oven when the cake was still baking (to check on the cake) and left it while I grabbed foil to cover the top of the cake. Bad move, because the cake sank AND the top stuck to the foil. Good thing I still had some cake batter, enough to make a second cake.

This time, I had to make sure I didn't tamper with the cake in any way and let it cool fully. Thankfully, the cake came out well.



















I cut the cake into half when I was supposed to cut it into 3 layers. I think I was just too excited that my cake had come out nicely that I wasn't thinking straight. Bad move again cause half a layer was too thick :(

Next, I lined the top with more strawberries. You can actually see the cream attempting to fall off.



















I've never tried beating heavy cream into whipped cream before, and I had accidentally overwhipped my cream in my first try. It was really sad because I couldn't go back and the cream had to be binned.

So I bought another pack of heavy cream and tried again, thankfully this time it turned out better. However, because I was still too scared of overwhipping the cream, my cream was actually not stiff enough so it resulted in this sloppy cake (_ _)"




























I tried my best to cover the cake with cream, before putting it into the fridge to let it stiffen. I even piped the top but it almost melted so I gave up.





























After one night in the fridge, the cake turned out nicely the next morning. The cream was stiff enough for me to cut the cake and it still held its place.



















Because of the hot weather in Malaysia, the cake had to be refrigerated really quickly--that's what you get for not whipping your cream till it's really stiff.

So I've learnt my lesson. I might attempt the same cake again when I'm really free cause it's a lot of hard work. But I guess it's worth it when I look back and see how pretty the cake is and how good it tasted HAHA. And that didn't come only from me, my dad said it was nice but I needed more practice.

Comments

Popular Posts