Happy Birthday Bro!
Happy Independance Day too. (Selamat Hari Merdeka)
I love holidays because then I have time to think of what I want to cook, and make yummy home cooked food :D
First up is my bacon wrapped asparagus rolls. I was reading Terri's blog the other day when I saw these yummy sticks of asparagus wrapped in pork.

I was craving for something similar, so I bought a pack of smoked streaky bacon from Carrefour for about RM8.00 and got my mom to buy some asparagus. Some recipes on the Internet suggested blanching the asparagus beforehand, or wrapping one whole piece of long bacon on one spear of asparagus. Because I had relatively short pieces of bacon and didn't want to blanch the asparagus beforehand, I finally settled on one recipe where the asparagus was cut up and the bacon wrapped around it.
I put some salt and black pepper over the cut up asparagus and proceeded to wrap the bacon around it. After rolling them up, I drizzled olive oil over the bacon (so it will be crispy) and dashed somemore black pepper over. Pop it into the oven and wait till it cooks!

close up of the bacon wrapped asparagus

The end product is this. Though the asparagus looks a bit shrivelled, it was juicy and soft to the bite :)
I think I might try blanching the asparagus next time so once the bacon is all crispy looking I can remove it from the oven and the asparagus will retain it's fresh look.

I bought some white mushrooms from Carrefour for about RM5.00 and chopped them up to cook this Garlic and Chives sautéed Mushrooms dish. I didn't want to cook the mushrooms in butter because my mom hates the idea, but I couldn't stand the thought of garlic and chives mushies without butter so I secretly added a little dollop at the last minute to give it taste.
I also made curry puffs with the puff pastry I bought, but I didn't take any pictures cause erm they're pretty ugly and I'd given up trying to beautify my food by then LOL. I didn't glaze the top of the pastry with egg, thus making it look bland. But it's yummy anyway ^_^
Oh, Happy Birthday Bro! I would've so cooked this meal for you, but since you're in Melbourne enjoying the lovely weather and company of that special someone, I'd just have to wish you here and on facebook. Sorry about your present okay? I'm broke, so maybe a little later!
Ah, one last thing. I packed a bento for my sister because she was working part time in the mall nearby today.

Bacon wrapped asparagus, sauteed tomatoes, sauteed garlic and chives mushies and some curry chicken on a bed of brown rice.
I love holidays because then I have time to think of what I want to cook, and make yummy home cooked food :D
First up is my bacon wrapped asparagus rolls. I was reading Terri's blog the other day when I saw these yummy sticks of asparagus wrapped in pork.

I was craving for something similar, so I bought a pack of smoked streaky bacon from Carrefour for about RM8.00 and got my mom to buy some asparagus. Some recipes on the Internet suggested blanching the asparagus beforehand, or wrapping one whole piece of long bacon on one spear of asparagus. Because I had relatively short pieces of bacon and didn't want to blanch the asparagus beforehand, I finally settled on one recipe where the asparagus was cut up and the bacon wrapped around it.
I put some salt and black pepper over the cut up asparagus and proceeded to wrap the bacon around it. After rolling them up, I drizzled olive oil over the bacon (so it will be crispy) and dashed somemore black pepper over. Pop it into the oven and wait till it cooks!

close up of the bacon wrapped asparagus

The end product is this. Though the asparagus looks a bit shrivelled, it was juicy and soft to the bite :)
I think I might try blanching the asparagus next time so once the bacon is all crispy looking I can remove it from the oven and the asparagus will retain it's fresh look.

I bought some white mushrooms from Carrefour for about RM5.00 and chopped them up to cook this Garlic and Chives sautéed Mushrooms dish. I didn't want to cook the mushrooms in butter because my mom hates the idea, but I couldn't stand the thought of garlic and chives mushies without butter so I secretly added a little dollop at the last minute to give it taste.
I also made curry puffs with the puff pastry I bought, but I didn't take any pictures cause erm they're pretty ugly and I'd given up trying to beautify my food by then LOL. I didn't glaze the top of the pastry with egg, thus making it look bland. But it's yummy anyway ^_^
Oh, Happy Birthday Bro! I would've so cooked this meal for you, but since you're in Melbourne enjoying the lovely weather and company of that special someone, I'd just have to wish you here and on facebook. Sorry about your present okay? I'm broke, so maybe a little later!
Ah, one last thing. I packed a bento for my sister because she was working part time in the mall nearby today.

Bacon wrapped asparagus, sauteed tomatoes, sauteed garlic and chives mushies and some curry chicken on a bed of brown rice.

Comments