Charitable Giving
I find it important that one carries a smile and genuine heart when approaching people, for whatever reason it may be, but especially when asking for any form of help.
It happens that my office is visited by a lot of salespeople who try to sell me everything from kacang (peanuts) to fax machines, with children's storybooks in between and a visit from the Immigration department asking for advertising money. But nothing beats the man who pressed the office doorbell today, who was NOT a salesman and was NOT asking for donations.
This man, a lecturer from IN** college started the conversation like this:
Man: I am not a salesman, don't worry. I'm actually a lecturer from IN** College and I'm here because I'm helping this home of children by selling greeting cards. If it's possible, would you ask your collegues to have a look at these cards? They're 3 ringgit each.
Me: I'm sorry but my collegues are now doing some work and they're really busy so I can't disturb them and I don't need any greeting cards. I'm sorry.
Man: You know, you're lucky to get a visit from me because these kids in this home have HIV and they were abandoned by their parents.
Me: Uh huh, yeah but I'm really sorry I can't disturb them and my company is small so...
Man: Everybody says the same thing you know, I'm a sociology lecturer and I know.
Me: But my company is small and...
Man: Malaysians can't even give one minute to look at this. *frowns, turns his back and walks away*
Me: Yeah but they're in a recording and I can't disturb them, I'm sorry.
The man never turned back to look at me even though I was saying I was sorry. He totally ignored me and thus, labelling me along with "everyone" who said that their collegues were busy.
You see, my company is really small with only 5 people in the office if you're lucky, and 3 if you're not. His intention was selling greeting cards and not asking for donations right? I would think that I was given the option to say "no" to buying greeting cards. If he wanted to gather as much money I think he shouldn't have said "I'm not asking for donations or not a salesman" because he was asking for me to buy something in return for the money I would give to the home. What I assume he should have said was something along the lines of, "I hope you will be able to help this children, but it's okay if you don't and have a nice day"
Sometimes, it's not for us to judge whether the person is sincere in giving or not. Whilst we try our best to ask for the donations and help we can get, I don't think going around and telling people these things will actually make someone want to donate or buy anything from you at all. Even though you might be a lecturer, what makes you any different now from those salespeople who try to sell me things too? I don't know, but like moon said "if he's a sociology lecturer, he should study himself." Maybe, just maybe, he carried his bias of Malaysian attitudes towards charity from his sociology studies along and fulfilled his own prophecy and beliefs.
It happens that my office is visited by a lot of salespeople who try to sell me everything from kacang (peanuts) to fax machines, with children's storybooks in between and a visit from the Immigration department asking for advertising money. But nothing beats the man who pressed the office doorbell today, who was NOT a salesman and was NOT asking for donations.
This man, a lecturer from IN** college started the conversation like this:
Man: I am not a salesman, don't worry. I'm actually a lecturer from IN** College and I'm here because I'm helping this home of children by selling greeting cards. If it's possible, would you ask your collegues to have a look at these cards? They're 3 ringgit each.
Me: I'm sorry but my collegues are now doing some work and they're really busy so I can't disturb them and I don't need any greeting cards. I'm sorry.
Man: You know, you're lucky to get a visit from me because these kids in this home have HIV and they were abandoned by their parents.
Me: Uh huh, yeah but I'm really sorry I can't disturb them and my company is small so...
Man: Everybody says the same thing you know, I'm a sociology lecturer and I know.
Me: But my company is small and...
Man: Malaysians can't even give one minute to look at this. *frowns, turns his back and walks away*
Me: Yeah but they're in a recording and I can't disturb them, I'm sorry.
The man never turned back to look at me even though I was saying I was sorry. He totally ignored me and thus, labelling me along with "everyone" who said that their collegues were busy.
You see, my company is really small with only 5 people in the office if you're lucky, and 3 if you're not. His intention was selling greeting cards and not asking for donations right? I would think that I was given the option to say "no" to buying greeting cards. If he wanted to gather as much money I think he shouldn't have said "I'm not asking for donations or not a salesman" because he was asking for me to buy something in return for the money I would give to the home. What I assume he should have said was something along the lines of, "I hope you will be able to help this children, but it's okay if you don't and have a nice day"
Sometimes, it's not for us to judge whether the person is sincere in giving or not. Whilst we try our best to ask for the donations and help we can get, I don't think going around and telling people these things will actually make someone want to donate or buy anything from you at all. Even though you might be a lecturer, what makes you any different now from those salespeople who try to sell me things too? I don't know, but like moon said "if he's a sociology lecturer, he should study himself." Maybe, just maybe, he carried his bias of Malaysian attitudes towards charity from his sociology studies along and fulfilled his own prophecy and beliefs.

Comments